Final Evaluation

Context 

The second part of ‘Identity Crisis’ focused on making an inanimate 3D object and bringing it to life through performance. To get inspiration for these we looked at the way various cultures express themselves. In Part 1, I was trying to explore how other people hide their identity in different ways whereas in part 2 of this brief, I thought more about how identity can be expressed through movement, and self expression through the decoration and style of a head and tail. We also needed to produce a group puppet show.

This brief worried me as I think my strengths lie in 2D. I found it challenging to work in 3 dimensions as well as 4 dimensions, but feel I have learnt that I can explore different ways of translating 2D into 3D by planning in stages.    To help develop my ideas I used the character developed in part one as a starting point as I wanted there to be a link with part 1 brief I tried to carry out the theme of hidden identity. From my design and research, I drew my interest from mythology. Mythology helped me evolve multiple choices of designs which I feel I could have explored in more depth with various character boards. The feedback from my final piece was that it reminded them of anxiety which fitted well with my character and the narrative it plays through movement. 

Research Influences

What came to mind when thinking of mythology was a TV show called Supernatural. Most of the creatures on there are human, trying to live a normal life while still coping with their differences. It helped me character design while giving me an understanding of how the characters could be animated. I felt that I needed to explore this within the puppetry; how, even though they are mythical and monsters, they are also human characters with human characteristics. Most of the myths had a very vague description of the monsters which helped me explore the characters in a wider way.

Mark Scott-Woods’s exhibition at the Minories helped me interpret my second hand research of Native American cultures in a new way. It changed my perspective of how I could use my cultural research. It also helped me understand how to make use of research with less obvious translation, such as using colour and pattern through their face paint that they use in their culture.

Once I researched Argus Panoptes it gave me the direction of mythology. I wanted to have a link with culture which is how I decided on the colour design. I started the design by linking it with the description of the character and images of culture masks

My sound research came from the film The Artist. I looked at the clip “Sound” which helped me understand how you can express emotion and how I could use it to narrate a story through this. It gave me more understanding how people identify with sound- the simple sound of rain changes emotion, a sound sudden sound shows fear and some sounds relate to personal memories. The sound workshop helped me understand how I can relate these emotions to a narrative.

Planning and Practical Skills

To plan for my outcomes I made: character boards, tail boards, sketches, imagery with annotation, pattern designs and a story board for our performance. However, I rushed these due to wanting to start the next process to learn the technique and catch up with everyone. I found it easier to experiment with pattern when I used recurring shapes and dropped them onto paper because I didn’t over think the design and it was all down to chance. 4D was an issue with experimentation as I should have taken my time which caused my ‘Wendigo’ puppet to crack so easily. I created other puppets with tails which extended my work beyond the tasks as it helped me develop my use of artex and character design. I planned on making another mask like the doll with the eye however I wanted to get multiple puppets done. I feel that Papier mache would work best for the mask as it would be of a large scale design but I am unsure this would be effective because of my results when working on a small scale puppet. I explored shadow puppets of the ‘Wendigo’ and a medusa style puppet too. If I made simpler designs I could have developed this further to have multiple shadow puppets with narrative to develop the narrative workshop. I’ve developed the timing of the performance to make it more structured with the timing gaps and the use of the drum. The sound workshop helped me have a more direct idea of how I could express anxiety of the character as well as fear.

Effectiveness of Solutions

Through this brief I feel that I’ve learnt I can turn 2d to 3d, I also have a wider understanding of 4D and I want to improve how I use 4d in my work. I need to start experimentation at the start of the project then develop further through experimentation. This experimentation should have involved: puppets making with research behind them, different use of fabrics for tails and used music in a developed way. Teamwork is harder than I expected as you have to give your ideas in a clear way. I learnt how to plan ahead to get a more polished outcome through mood boards which taught me more about the design aspect. I want to experiment more with design boards.

Advertisements
Final Evaluation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s